Reciprocal Reading will help children who:
- Can read, but struggle to understand.
- Can’t explain their understanding to others.
- Read very slowly because they are focusing on accurate decoding, so never get the flow of the text nor grasp its meaning.
- Read too fast and don’t pay attention to what they are reading.
- Only read for plot events, not the details within the writing.
- Lack confidence when reading new or unfamiliar texts.
- Have a limited reading repertoire – who read only very undemanding texts or only texts by the same author for example.
- Have impaired understanding through limited understanding of vocabulary.
- Read text avidly, but never question the meaning of words or what they have just read, find it difficult to cope with specialist texts from different curriculum areas.